From the beginning, VISX's success has been based upon unparalleled Research and Development efforts in the field of Laser Vision Correction technology. Today these efforts are represented by the marriage of the STAR S4 Excimer Laser System and the WaveScan Wavefront System creating the CustomVue Procedure.
The CustomVue procedure tailors a distinct correction for each individual – in fact each treatment is “designed” by the unique characteristics of the individuals’ eyes. WaveScan technology captures unique imperfections in each individual’s vision that could not have been measured before. This new level of measurement provides 25-times more precision than measurements using standard methods for glasses and contact lenses. WaveScan technology produces a detailed map of the eye – much like a fingerprint, no two are alike and translates this information into a set of CustomVue treatment instructions for the laser. WaveScan transfers these digital treatment instructions to the laser, providing a new level of precision and accuracy.
Beyond Glasses and Contacts
- Glasses and contacts are limited in their ability to correct unique imperfections in each individual's vision. In fact, thousands of individuals have the same prescription. With the CustomVue procedure, no two “prescriptions” are identical.
- This precise level of measurement and treatment can enable individuals to achieve the full potential of their vision.
Clinical Study Results
VISX's FDA clinical study results were remarkable. Among other things:
- At one year after the VISX CustomVue procedure;
- 100% of the clinical study participants could pass a driving test without glasses or contacts
- 98% of the clinical study participants could see 20/20 or better without glasses or contacts
- 70% of the clinical study participants could see 20/16 or better without glasses or contacts
- Four times as many clinical study participants were very satisfied with their night vision after the VISX CustomVue procedure, compared to their night vision before with glasses or contacts.
These are not all of the clinical study results. For more information, please review the CustomVue Patient Information Booklet and Patient Information Sheet.